The Darwin coastline is subject to tidal ranges of up to 8 metres at certain times of the month and year. For this reason residential Marina Estate such as Bayview, requires a lock to maintain the water level within the marina. It is important that all lock users follow a few common sense rules to minimise any inconvenience and allow for the efficient and safe operation of the lock whilst following directions from the Lockmaster.
Hours of Operation and Bookings see,Lock Operation Hours.
Vessels wishing to enter the marina for the first time must have made prior arrangements with the lockmaster or our office, to either rent a berth in the marina or have permission to use a private berth from the owner. See Private Berth Form.
Vessels must also have supplied our office with current 3rd Party Property Insurance details to the value of $5 million and possibly a Statutory Declaration from NT Fisheries. Please see Quarantine Section
When calling to book access to the lock, please state the following:
- The name of the vessel or a description.
- The name of the skipper.
Vessels entering the lock are to:
- Have radio communication with the Lockmaster on VHF Channel 68
- Follow instructions from the Lockmaster
- Wait for the green traffic light.
- Have strong bow and stern mooring lines attached to the vessel for mooring against the lock wall.
- Lines should not be tied off but held by crew members.
- Skippers should take note as to whether the water level will be rising or falling.
- Once moored vessel engines should be turned off.
- No smoking when inside the lock.
- Large vessels should enter the lock first with smaller ones filling the available space behind the larger ones.
Vessels leaving the lock:
- Should follow instructions from the Lockmaster.
- Wait for the green traffic light before exiting the lock.
- As a general rule leave in the same order they entered.
Lock Operation Times
|Monday||06:00 – 18:00|
|Tuesday||06:00 – 18:00|
|Wednesday||06:00 – 21:00|
|Thursday||06:00 – 18:00|
|Friday||06:00 – 18:00|
|Saturday||06:00 – 21:00|
|Sunday||06:00 – 18:00|
Monday to Friday One hour notice, on the hour
Saturday and Sunday & Public Holidays One hour notice, on the hour
Evening Lock Movements
Wednesday and Saturday 24 hours notice, on the hour
NB: OUTSIDE THESE HOURS A $100 CALL OUT FEE IS PAYABLE. AFTER HOURS BOOKINGS ARE AT THE LOCKMASTER’S DISCRETION.
12 26 548° S
130 51 563° E
Max Craft Length Allowable: 26 metres
Max Craft Beam Allowable: 7 metres
Max Safe Craft Draft: 2.5 metres
Vessels wishing to enter the Bayview Marina arriving from:
- Torres Straight Islands
Need to obtain approval before they will be allowed to enter the marina.
If you have arrived from overseas (even if you have cleared customs elsewhere) you will need to check with the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Services (AQIS) for clearance before you may enter the marina.
All vessels which have stopped in Cairns need clearance before entering the marina.
Vessels which have stopped in the Torres Straits may also need clearance before being able to enter the marina.
AQIS : 08 8920 7000
NT Fisheries : 0413 381 094